Tuesday, June 5, 2012

SHERLOCK



So guys. It's time for THAT post.







Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock Sherlock.




Sherlock.

I'm obsessed.

My mom and I are usually pretty good about getting ahead of the curve of popular things, and the new BBC Sherlock was one of them. From the moment I saw the preview for the first episode of the first season on my favorite TV show (Masterpiece and Masterpiece Mystery), it was love at first sight for me.



But, to be fair, I've loved Sherlock since this:


and this:


Jeremy Brett as Sherlock, as I have said a hundred and thirty times (at least) is the Absolute Paramount Performance of Sherlock any time. He captured the essence of the great character's infinite intelligence, eccentricity, insufferability, boredom, drug addiction, acerbic iceyness, asexuality and of course those long white fingers and that visage! He is exactly every inch the Victorian Sherlock from my imagination.

The new BBC Sherlock and the reason why I love it so much is that they took every thing I imagined and transferred Sherlock seamlessly into the twenty-first century. In fact, the only reason why Benedict Cumberbatch isn't my epitome of Sherlock is because Jeremy Brett IS Sherlock as Conan-Doyle wrote him. But Benedict is my Sherlock of now, and where Jeremy is my Sherlock 100%, Benedict is my Sherlock 99.999999%. I love both of them that much.

And, what is it with the British and their cleverness?! Every modernized adaptation of Conan-Doyle's stories has been unique and individual, while being pitch perfect and completely withIN the spirit of Sherlock as Conan Doyle wrote him.

It makes me so happy that I don't even have words to describe said happiness. All I can do is rave about this show and how much I love it. It transcends TV for me.

It also fuels my detective alter-ego.

It's amazing. And funny. And brilliant. And innovative. And well shot. And well directed. And well written. And well acted. And obviously enough to inspire fanaticism in SO MANY PEOPLE including yours truly.

GO WATCH IT NOW. All of it. No excuses. NOW.

And if you don't love it, well you must be heartless.  Or...something.

& that's elementary.

No comments:

Post a Comment